In March 2019, GyanPoint reported that Mailchimp had acquired LemonStand, an integrated e-commerce platform that was competing directly with Shopify.
According to TechCrunch, the deal was described as an “acqui-hire, with the team now woking on light e-commerce functionality.”
However, 90 days later, in June of 2019, LemonStand shut down its operations.
Finding E-Commerce Alternatives to LemonStand
If you were planning on using LemonStand, you’ll need to find an alternative. A good place to start is by reading this guide from Digital.com.
The guide covers the pros and cons of all the major e-commerce platforms, including:
- WooCommerce (for WordPress users)
It also includes comparisons between BigCommerce and Shopify and Shopify vs. Volusion. There’s enough information in the guide to help you find a suitable alternative for LemonStand.
Start With Your Goals
As an internet entrepreneur, it’s important to choose your e-commerce platform carefully. Make sure you’ve sketched out your goals first and then list the functionality that your site will need.
- Do you need multi-lingual translation?
- Will you be selling domestically only or also overseas?
- Will you need to be able to display prices in multiple currencies?
- What about shipping rates? Do you need these to be calculated automatically at checkout?
- Do you already have product(s) to sell or do you plan to drop-ship? (Get tips on drop-shipping here.)
- If you’re selling physical goods you’ll want to plan ahead for order fulfillment.
If you’re not sure what type of e-commerce functionality is currently available, browse the guide. That will help you narrow your goals and set your priorities.
As you develop your e-commerce plan you can find a variety information, tips, and tools for small business owners at Digital.com.
We wish you the best of luck in your entrepreneurial venture! Leave us a comment to let us know how your plan is going. We’d love to see your progress.